Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Higgins then Bedall's then Baird's
London House

Higgins drapery
c1894 Stephen Higgins drapery

Stephen Higgins is listed in the Kelly's directory for 1894 and by 1895 it was Beddall's and in 1898 Baird's .......

London House
Coffee Tavern with London House adjoining

c1894 Stephen Higgins drapery

This 1895 calendar with 'F Berry' added at the top came to us in 2023
Eric Fowell Collection

In 1895 this property was kept by Beddall's of which we knew little until this photograph with a reflection of the name, and a newsclip. The shop adjoined the Coffee Tavern.

A reflection at the top of Charles Smith's window tells us Bedall's - so it was near to the Coffee Tavern.

the row of shops

Report in 1897 on decorations for celebrating Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee:

The front of the Coffee Tavern was also treated with numerous fairy lamps, surmounted with the letters V.R. and a crown. The windows were decorated with bunting and numerous flags were also displayed.
Mr. Beddall's shop was decorated with flags and bunting, whilst Mr. Smith evidenced his loyalty by displaying a photo of Her Majesty, surrounded by a number of flags.
The premises of Mr. Miller were also brilliantly illuminated. The letters V. and R. in fairy lamps ware arranged on either side of the building, whilst a massive crown filled the recess over the shop front.

c1898 - from the right - C G Ward, Busby & Co, C E Knight
John Radburne, Mr Beddall's, and the Coffee Tavern

The local newspaper carried a report in 1897 on the celebrations for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and that mentioned Mr Beddall's property but gave no idea of what he was trading as.

the shop
Advert from The Rushden Echo, 6th May 1899
Shop at 16 High Street
In 2022 after finding another odd piece of a page of a newspaper dated May 1898, we find
Jas. W Baird had taken over the business as a draper and milliner. The advert also tells us that the building was called London House. The 1901 census tells that Frank J Baird had been born in Birmingham and traded as a tailor and draper on his own behalf. He was aged 25 and had married Sarah (born Chapel Brampton NTH) and they had a an unregistered son aged 2 months. [Perhaps a relative had traded elsewhere and Frank was now his partner so they traded under the one name? A James Baird, tailor of Glasgow is found in an 1867 Post Office Directory.]

The Bairds had vacated the premises about 1902 when G S Whiting came.

This advert confirms the property called London House was adjoining the Coffee Tavern:
1903 advert
Rushden Argus 17 April 1903

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us