Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Lighstrung Cycle Works

Four photographs by the late A J George.
He used them for a display and had taken them shortly before the area
was cleared to make way for the Duck Street Roundabout.
The wording is as he wrote it but retyped for clarity.

first gas works
RUSHDEN’s First GAS WORKS 1864-1893 (note iron rafters ▼)
iron rafters
Then Lightstrung Cycles were made here

The OVENS where cycle frames were STOVE ENAMELED

Bright's premises

“SPRUCE” in “GLARNEY” Bottles and “STONE GINGER” were produced here ▲
by three or more different firms, the last was BRIGHTS.
(note how the corner was cropped when it was built!)

The 'Lightstrung Bus Stop' area
1950 Lightstrung area
The demolition of several of the buildings seen here happened when the new Duck Street junction was developed. This 1950s picture shows the junction of Duck Street, Church Street, Skinners Hill and St Mary's Avenue, now a roundabout which replaced the building just below the three trees centre - the Lightstrung garage, and behind the trees is the Adult School. The old gas works where the Lightstrung began after the new gas works were built in 1893 in Shirley Road. All the cottages and workshops in Duck Street, and the Adult School dispappeared. Bottom left corner is Stomag - or the old Claridge's factory (demolished in 2015). The large flat roof behind the factory and house cleared in the 1960s to provide new shops for G E Morgan electrical conractors, and a fish and chip shop. Bottom right hand corner is Church Street - the last house was called Ivy Cottage but that was demolished earlier for road alterations.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us