Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Central Buildings
Central Buildings in Queen Street Central Buildings Central Buildings
The date stone on
2 Queen Street.
Central Buildings
built in 1895.
Central Buildings at the corner of High Street and Queen Street
Plans were passed for three shops to be built in 1895.
Amendment to drainage was applied for in 1896 under the name of Mrs Brown.

66-62 High Street c1909

In 1898 J Wooding & Son, confectioner was at 62 High Street, and the Misses Mobbs took over the shop in 1909.
In 1909 Miss Annie Mobbs confectioner at 62 High Street. Her sister Agnes and widowed mother Eliza were also living with her. Born in Northampton Annie (1868) and Agnes (1876) were both confectioners.

They remained here until 1921 when they took Miss Hewitt's stationery shop at 35 High Street.

From 1921 62 High Street was a Lipton's grocery store. They traded here into the 1960s.
c1940 before the bus shelter was erected outside the chapel

At 64 High Street John Louvre opened a drapery. In 1920 this was J H York, and in 1928 T H Walton took over and called the shop The Louvre, presumably after the first trader here. It traded until at least 1965.
Star Tea Co. Ltd opened at 66 High Street and remained there until the 1960s.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the Land, Property & Tax index
Click here to e-mail us