Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Auxiliary Fire Service
Wartime National Fire Service

During 1938, in keeping with other Local Authorities, Rushden formed a branch of the Auxiliary Fire Service, (AFS). This was formed to provide additional fire fighting capabilities in the event of war being declared in the future.

Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman
My father, Herbert Chapman, joined up as one of the many unpaid volunteers, who were trained to do basic fire fighting, and to use the appropriate equipment.

The volunteers had to complete 60 hours of training before they were considered competent to help the other "Retained firemen" who were the mainstay of the fire brigade at that time under the command of the Fire Officer, Mr. Frank Timpson. Retained firemen were I believe, part time but paid if called out.

The AFS personnel, were, in addition to other duties, trained to use small mobile fire pump units, these were highly effective as they were powered by a very powerful Coventry Climax engine, which was used in small racing cars.

The unit was equipped with fire hoses and suction pipes so that it could use a street hydrant or ponds or later during the war, take water from one of the numerous static water tanks constructed at various locations in the town.

I remember that there were competitions between various groups within the AFS, taking the form of time trials. These were fiercely fought events.

The pump had to be taken to a water supply, connected up, two lengths of hoses run out, the pump started and a target had to be hit by the water jet. The fastest team being the winners.

with the pump
AFS logo on the helmets

The gentleman on the left carrying the hose is I believe Mr F Egan, the second from the left is Mr Herbert Chapman.

In August 1941, now under wartime conditions, the AFS was redesignated the National Fire Service, (NFS), which was run by a centralised government body. They set common stands for equipment and training, to enable the volunteers to be moved out of area in the event of major problems, knowing that the equipment and procedures were all compatible.

During the war time my father and his colleagues were required to stay overnight at the fire station on a rota basis. At other times they attended the fire station after the air raid siren had sounded, as this was the only way they could be called out.

Later we had a fire bell fitted in our house which was rung if he was required to attend. This system continued after the war had ceased.

My father remained a part time fireman for some years, giving up some time after the end of the war. However our family connection with the fire service did not end then.

My cousin Mary Swales who lived in Rushden, met a soldier, Sergeant Maurice Hollis, usually known as "Ginge" due to his red hair. He was in the 15/19 Hussars who were temporarily billeted in Rushden, en route to the war in Europe. They were married and he left to go to Europe with his regiment. He served there with distinction and conspicuous bravery for which he was awarded the Military Medal.

Maurice Hollis
Station Officer Maurice Hollis
The medal citation said that Sgt Hollis was commanding a tank supporting the Coldstream guards, in a battle at the Meuse-Escaut canal in Belgium. They were under heavy fire from the enemy, and the condition was critical. Sgt Hollis commanded his tank with such calm and skill, and knocked out three enemy self propelled guns which saved the situation.

On being demobilised he returned to Rushden to consider his future. Encouraged by my father, he applied for, and was accepted as a full time fireman at the Rushden Station.

At this time, full time firemen were being employed and the part time volunteers were being phased out.

Due to his enthusiasm and dedication he was quickly promoted to Leading Fireman, and 1957 he took over the senior position of Station Officer the appointment that Mr. A Timpson had held for many years.

During 8th December 1958 the brigade was called to a fire at Keunens' tannery, (between Higham and Irthlingborough). There was a man trapped in the building. Station Officer Hollis put on breathing apparatus, and climbed to the first floor to locate the man.

This rescue led to him being awarded The Queens Commendation for Bravery.

Again the citation for this award, praised his bravery, for going into a very hazardous fire and smoke filled building to rescue the man. He dragged him 60 feet, in complete darkness to safety, and he collapsed with exhaustion after the rescue.

Station Officer Hollis subsequently left the Rushden Brigade being promoted to the position of Divisional Fire Officer for Northampton.

He tragically died at the very early age of 62.

From Derek Chapman, via email April 2012

Rushden’s Emergency Fire-fighting Water Supplies - notes from Ken Smith (son of John), 2023
At the outbreak of war local councils were looking for ways to obtain water for fire-fighting if existing mains got damaged in an air raid.
The first used was the Town Brook. It was dammed up in several places by setting heavy timbers across at about 3 feet high, to ensure water was deep enough, for a pump to be put into position.
There was one at Manor Farm in Bedford Road, and then one at Townsend’s Garage in High Street South, where the brook enters the park. The next place was in Skinner’s Hill where the brook leaves the park. Another one was in Duck Street at the end of a row of cottages before the junction with College Street, then one at the end of Duck Street at the bend in the road as it climbs to High Street (Splash Pool car park).
The last one was where the brook enters Spencer Park under Washbrook Road.
Fire Service Certificate
John Smith's Fire Service Certificate WWII - shows the Local Fire Brigade - with the National Fire Service
established on 18th August 1841 for wartime duty.

Static Water Tanks
The Government supplied precast concrete sections to be bolted together to make the tanks, which could be either circular or rectangular, to suit the space available.

Two circular ones were installed, one in the field behind the Scout HQ in Skinner’s Hill, and one in Moor Road school playground at the corner with Station Road. These were about 40 ft diameter.

The rectangular ones could be of any size, depending in the space available. There was one at the top of Pightles Terrace before you get to the cemetery, another in Rectory Road, in the field between the Rectory and the Bus Garage, and one at the junction of Talbot Road and Park Avenue.

All these tanks were about 6 feet deep [2m], and surrounded by a wire fence and gates.

The Pipeline along the Railway Line
There was a vast amount of water available at the flooded clay pit at John Clark’s brickworks in Wellingborough Road, and a 6” metal pipeline was laid along the railway line from the pit to Washbrook Road came up the bank to the road, and was buried in the road across to Moor Road. It was then above ground in the gutter all the way along Moor Road to the top of Fitzwilliam Hill.

It had vertical connections about every 50 yards with a valve and sockets to plug in hoses in the event of an air raid. A crew with a pump would be sent to the brickyard to fill the pipe with water.

AFS 1941
NFS team at the entrance to Charles Sanders currying yard (now Splash Pool CP)
Back row: l-r John Smith, Ray Clark (electrician), Cecil Wildman, ?????
Seated left is Ralph Jolley (St Mary's verger)

Rushden Echo and Argus, 27th April 1945, transcribed by Peter Brown

Rushden Fireman in Germany
Fireman Harold Robinson, of 4, Wentworth-road Rushden, was a member of the first N.F.S. unit to enter Germany.

AFS carnival entry
AFS - 'Rushden Roughs' - a Carnival entry in WWII

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the War index
Click here to e-mail us