Click here to return to the main site entry page
Click here to return to the previous page

Charles Chamberlain
Chamberlain & East - Edward East - Caroline East
Charles Chamberlain came to Rushden around 1890, from Linslade BKM aged about 17, and he lodged with William Spencer and family in Fitzwilliam Street. Charles was working for William to improve his skills in plumbing and glazing.

Caroline Desborough, the sixth of nine children of William and Rebecca, born in 1875 when the family lived at 1 Succoth Yard, was living with Walter Wood, headmaster and his wife and young daughter, as a domestic servant, at the Board School in Alfred Street. Her brother William started his sweet making business at the family home.

In 1896 Charles had married Caroline, and in 1901 they had two children, William aged 3 and Frances aged 1. They lived at 17 Alfred Street, and Charles was now a house decorator.

rent paid quarterly by Charles
C Chamberlain rented 14 Rectory Road at £17 per year and
at £18 per year from Oct 1902 to Oct 1905.
They moved to 14 Rectory Road, where Charles and Caroline opened a general store. The shop was rented from William Desborough.

Charles died in 1910 aged just 38, leaving Caroline to run the shop and bring up their children.

In 1911 her son (Edward) William was not at home on census night, but Caroline's sister Deborah was living with her, and a servant girl, Grace Whiteman. Edward was living in Birmingham as a plumber's boy, so did an apprenticeship there.

Ernest Edward East married Caroline in 1913. Edward William had returned home and worked with his step-father in the firm of Messrs. Chamberlain and East, painters and plumbers, before joining the Forces in 1916.

Rectory Road Shrine
The Evening Telegraph, Memory Lane, May 1988

The picture was loaned by 82-year-old Hilda Surridge.
The three boys in front of the Shrine are (l-r) Walt Jackson who went
to Canada, Albert Surridge, and Jack Cave.

When the town Street Shrines were erected, in 1917, one for Rectory Road was erected on their shop wall, and Caroline's son Edward William was killed in 1917 whilst serving in the Navy in WWI, so his name would have been added to the shrine. Ernest and Caroline continued to run the shop.

When Edward died in 1931, Caroline continued to run the shop until at least 1944.

They are all buried in Rushden Cemetery, Grave B695/6:

B 695/6

In loving memory of Charles the beloved husband of Caroline CHAMBERLAIN who died June 27th 1910 aged 38 years. He giveth his beloved rest.
Also Edward William CHAMBERLAIN killed in France Aug 28th 1918 aged 20 years.
Also Ernest Edward EAST her beloved second husband who died March 24th 1931 aged 48 years.
Also the beloved wife Caroline who died May 27th 1952 aged 77 years.

The shop is pictured here in 1944 with four generations of the family. Grandma Caroline and her daughter Frances (right) who had married Fred Lack in 1922, and their daughter (Edna) Jean (left). Jean married Robert Onley in 1944 and the following year they had twin girls, Janet and Jillian, but sadly Jillian died soon after birth.

Jean Caroline, Frances, with baby Janet
Jean, Caroline, and Frances, with baby Janet in 1945

 The Rushden Echo and Argus, 11th September 1953
see also 1910 valuation
The area off Rectory Road
A picture showing the row of cottages in Rectory Road, in 1953 when the car park was being established. See article for the demolition in 1956
Parking facilities on this site off Rectory Road are to be doubled, thanks to the enterprise of Rushden Co-operative Society, who own the land and will rent it to the Urban Council after putting it in order.

1901 plan
part of a 1901 plan showing the row of cottages at the corner of Portland Road
and the rear of Milton Place, Succoth Place and George Street onto Rectory Road.

Click here to return to the main index of features
Click here to return to the History index
Click here to e-mail us